Here are some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) that we have received to date. As we receive additional questions, we will post more FAQ’s below.
Q: How many Roanoke United Volleyball teams will be offered this season?
A: Our goal is to have enough coaches for 1-2 teams per age group 13s all the way up to 17s. This year we also have a 18s team available.
Q: How many players will be on each team?
A: In order to maximize each player’s development, we generally prefer to have 9 or 10 players per team though there are exceptions when individual teams dictate having 1 player more or less.
Q: What is the difference between Red and White teams?
A: In order to avoid confusion from using the “Open” and “Club” team designations, the Board has decided to refer to our teams as Red and White. RED teams are the highest level travel teams available and were previously referred to as open or national teams. RED teams are the most competitive teams and are generally for players who are looking for the highest available level of competition as they will travel to more multi-day tournaments (including multiple tournaments outside of the region). WHITE teams typically travel to more single-day tournaments plus 1-3 multi-day tournaments as close to home as possible.
Q: Where will teams practice?
A: To simplify things for all involved and to provide the best available training for our athletes, Roanoke United Volleyball will utilize Spectrum Sports Academy as its practice facility. On rare occasions, teams may also practice at other area schools if those gyms are made available at no cost or reasonable cost and an extra or make-up practice time is needed. Specific practice days and times for individual teams will be determined at a later date.
Q: How much will Team Fees be and what is included in those fees?
A: Specific team budgets will be depend primarily on the number of players on each team and what each team’s tournament schedule includes. Team Fees include tournament entry fees, practice facilities, uniforms, coaches’ pay & expenses (coach USAV registration, background checks, education and certification, lodging and meals at tournaments, apparel, etc.), equipment (balls, carts, training aids, etc.), and administrative fees to cover items such as the club website, taxes, postage, etc. For more details, please go to the Fees Page.
Q: What fundraising opportunities will there be to help parents/players pay their team fees?
A: All players/parents will have the opportunity to sell Shamrock sponsorships and/or tournament program ads and they will get personal credit for 50% of everything they sell with no cap on how much money they can raise. There may be other fundraising opportunities arranged by the club but individual teams are always welcome to organize their own fundraisers as well.
Q: How long does the season last?
A: Teams will begin practice in December and attend tournaments from January through late March or early April. Red teams may also attend USAV Nationals or AAU Nationals in June but these teams would take some time off in April/May before resuming practice in preparation for Nationals.
Q: Can my daughter try out for a Red team if she plays a school sport in the Winter and/or Spring?
A: Yes. While the time/travel commitment for Red teams is definitely greater than for White teams, we encourage everyone interested in playing on a Red team to tryout accordingly. If selected for a Red team, they can discuss potential conflicts with their coach to determine if doing both sports is feasible. In the past, we have had players on Red teams that also played high school sports but it is very important that any potential conflicts are discussed at the time teams are selected so issues can be avoided from the beginning. To be fair to your coaches and teammates, volleyball must be your priority.
Q: Why should I choose Roanoke United Volleyball over other area clubs?
A: There are numerous advantages offered by Roanoke United Volleyball, including:
- This club was established at the request of area high school coaches and is the preferred club by almost every high school coach in the area.
- Very high level of coaching experience with approximately 30 combined trips to the state tournament.
- Simply put, the best players in the area play for Roanoke United Volleyball. See Awards Page for more details from this past season. In addition, RUV has consistently sent players on to play college volleyball. Specifically, in the past 15 years Roanoke United and predecessor club Roanoke Juniors have sent players to play college volleyball at the following schools: Armstrong Atlantic, Bluefield, Bucknell, Carson Newman, Catawba, Dartmouth, Davidson, Embry Riddle, Emory & Henry, Ferrum, George Mason, Hollins, JMU, Juniata, Lafayette, Liberty, Lynchburg, Mars Hill, North Greenville, Oberlin, Queens, Radford, Randolph Macon, Roanoke, Savannah College of Art & Design, Seton Hall, Shenandoah, Stetson, UNC, VCU, Virginia Tech, Washington & Lee, Western Colorado, Wofford, Yale, and others.
- "Recruiting & Nutrition Combine" provided by college coaches and other experts.
- Board & Coaches bring the combined resources/expertise from at least 5 different clubs so Roanoke United Volleyball has extensive experience in the most effective and efficient ways to run a club.
- Roanoke United Volleyball is committed to the highest level of sportsmanship and personal integrity. Simply put, we do what we say we will do and we always have the kids’ best interests in mind.
- Coaches and Board members have excellent long-term relationships with the Old Dominion Region staff, other club directors in Virginia and elsewhere, various tournament directors, and college coaches from all over the country. This means Roanoke United Volleyball players will be given the most and best opportunities to be successful in everything they do.